Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Segregation

Oklahoma does not live up to all its stereotypes. I have now been east to west, north to south and not once did I consider it to be flat and dry. Ok, so it was a little dry...and more than a little dry as it's the worst drought for them in decades. The east side of the state has gentle rolling hills, trees, and creeks. The grass on the side of the highway despite this is a peaceful deep green, tall, and waves wistfully in the constant winds. Although I know the dangers of ticks and the insects of all kinds in this part of the country, it's the kind of grass that makes you want to run til you can't run anymore and collapse in its comfort to gaze at the clouds passing by overhead.

The people of Oklahoma are neither loud, blunt, or outspoken but they are unspeakably hospitable. It's not the kind of hospitality and openness that reminds you of the chubby southern mother who calls you sugar, tells you what's on her mind, and feeds you in one meal than you would normally eat in a week. In contrast the the stormy and dramatic weather the state receives, the kindness and openness is calm. The more I travel, the more I am finding good people and communities much happier than my own. Almost every night, I've come across people willing to give up their own place to sleep so I would have a more comfortable residence for a night. On top of this, I've only paid for dinner once since I left.

It was on my way to Joplin that I stopped at a gas station in Enid, OK to fill up. Another thing I love about this state is that they have several gas stations that openly advertise the lack of ethanol in their gasoline. (which means more mileage on less for me!) I had even turned out to be on my way to Joplin when I got the feeling to go back. I couldn't shake that feeling and made a U-Turn.

That's where I met Donthan, a big teddy bear of a man from outside Jackson, Mississippi. I asked him and his young son to fill out my survey after the gas stations attendants readily talked to me. He and I got to talking about southern culture and the more we talked, the more he openly explained the racial issues in the south.

When he compared buying a new truck in Oklahoma City as compared to trying to buy one in Jackson, I teared up and almost cried right there. His eyes lit up with the excitement of a kid getting his first bike telling me about how he was able to buy this truck he drives now new. This was something he could never do back in Mississippi. They would find excuse after excuse for not selling him the car he wanted. Nor would they even ask WHAT he wanted! All they would say is "You look like you want this car" and bring over the dirtiest, oldest truck they had.

Can you imagine? Really, what it would like to be in a world that shakes their heads back and forth in denial of racism, yet turns around and refuses to sell you a car when you have the funds and income to do so? I could tell this man had a beautiful soul from the moment our eyes me and he introduced himself, giving my hand a confident yet soft handshake.

It was the kind of conversation that leaves you wanting to hug a tearful goodbye. Instead, we politely shook hands with big smiles on our faces and went our separate ways.

Now, the adventures that awaited in Joplin and more amazing people that made me tear up and want to hug them will wait til the next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment