Sunday, August 14, 2011

Rock Inn Cafe

To say I surveyed the residents of Seymour, TX would be an incorrect statement. One could say that yes, I did try to get a random sample of people but unfortunately as it turns out, it is more difficult to get people to answer a few questions on happiness than to get them to take free light bulbs. Both seem to be relatively easy to have people cooperate with in theory but unfortunately it is not the case.

That was, until I decided to get a coffee at the Rock Inn Cafe. Nominated in the top 40 small town diners in the entire state of Texas, this place has some pretty good food. And to make it better, some pretty nice employees and patrons. I was feeling quite defeated with my attempt to get people to stop and talk to me in front of a shell station at 11 AM. I wondered how the heck can so many small town people have important places to be ASAP at 11 AM on a Sunday morning? The diner was bustling with customers and I sat down next to a man who could tell immediately I was a weary traveler. After we got to talking, he nudged me in the right direction of people to interview and offered me tips on how to get strangers to respond to me. The waitress was your stereotypical no-nonsense small town server, and even more so in the fact that she finally opened up and talked to me after I had an "in" with one of the locals. She kindly asked her regulars to participate in my study as well. Even the owner's son, after laughing about what a city girl I really am, offered me anything on the menu for free (I chose the delicious onion rings though they are famous for their chicken fried steak.) Scott, the man who I interviewed first, didn't head on his way until he had first given me a hug and added my coffee to his bill.

It was really shocking and amazing to how cold everyone seemed to be from the outside until they became the most hospitable and friendly people I have met. I was ready to write off friendly small town America as a myth and huff back to a bigger city to ask my questions. Turns out, you have to know just one person. Then you're family. I would have had two offers for places to stay and to tag along in a hunting trip if the timing was right but unfortunately, I can't afford to drag this trip on. So it was east to Wichita Falls to meet an old friend and then north the Oklahoma City. I am in serious need of a shower, to cool off, and to have a restful nights sleep. The location I chose last night was not a wise one and I fell into fitful sleep with a knife by my side. I'm going to avoid that for tonight! Until next time

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what sort of sketchy place did you sleep in?

    Small towns are usually like that - very insular until one of the locals 'signs off' on you. You'll notice that a lot more acutely with desert and mountain towns - basically the more hostile the environment, the more wary of strangers they'll be.

    ReplyDelete